Bread. My worst frenemy. I love it so much, but my hips feel otherwise. I don’t normally eat sandwich bread (lies, because avocado toast is now my new best friend), and the one time I hoard bread in my cheeks like a hamster is at Italian restaurants. So we made pasta one night and I thought, hey, why not make some bread, instead of going to the store to buy some with ingredients I don’t know about? My quest filled my home with the heavenly aroma of fresh baked bread. I know you smell it as I read it and want your home to smell the same too. Well do it. If the bread doesn’t come out great, at least you can thank it for the heavenly scents. Give it a shot and let me know what you think!
VEGAN HOMEMADE BREAD – WHAT YOU NEED
- Two large bowls
- 4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached All Purpose Flour + extra flour for your work surface
- 1 teaspoon of pink himalayan salt
- 1 packet of active dry yeast
- 1.75 cups of hot water
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 tbsp of Italian Seasoning or other savory spices you like (I suggest adding in some small pumpkin seeds or nuts as well)
- Prep one half of your work surface with a dusting of flour
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt and yeast
- Put your wooden spoon in the middle of the bowl and create a medium-sized hole–fill this hole with the water and the oil
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and work the mixture into a large ball
- Put your dough ball on the surface covered with flour
- Grease your second large bowl in preparation for the dough
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes then place the dough in your greased bowl, loosely cover it with a thin towel or tea towel and let it rest for about 2 hours
- After 1.5-2 hours, preheat your oven to 375 degrees, then knead the dough on your floured work surface until you remove all the air bubbles
- Divide the dough in half. Set one half aside and the other half in your pan and into the oven once preheated
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Once this roll is ready, let it cool on a rack and use the same pan for your second roll of dough
- Voila! Enjoy with vegan butter.
Question of the Day
What is your guys’ favorite baked bread?