Before you read on, you’re welcome. This is by far the easiest vegan chocolate chip cookies you’ll ever find, and best of all, they came out tasting amazing all thanks to serendipity and some experimentation (and a whole lotta taste-testing). I started with this recipe from Daily Rebecca, but ended up making it my own. They take less than 20 minutes to make so if you need a last-minute (omg I need to bring something to Thanksgiving dinner), then these cookies got you covered. Plus, you probably have all the ingredients on hand.
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup almond milk + 2-3 tbsp. reserve on the side
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I used the ones from Bob’s Red Mill)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup (or as many as you want, really) vegan chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a big bowl, mix the coconut oil with the brown sugar.
- Add ¼ cup of almond milk and the vanilla extract.
- Into the same bowl, add in the flour and baking powder (salt is optional).
- Mix it all together. If it looks crumbly, add in 1 tbsp. of almond milk at a time. If it feels wet, it’s probably not wet enough, so it’s okay to add some more until it feels wet and soft.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Roll into small sized balls and flatten with your hand before placing on a pan with a silpat sheet on it or an un-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes and check. These cookies should be a bit hard coming out of the oven, so you may need to add 2 minutes at the end.
- Let cool and serve!
You can throw some of these into a clear plastic bag, tie them with a little string and give them away as affordable presents to your co-workers, the mailman, or just about anyone! (but not your dog, cause hello, chocolate).
You can make these cookies just about however you want. Feel free to nix the chocolate chips and throw in cranberries, or nuts, toffee, or any other vegan mix-ins. Enjoy!
Question of the Day
What are your favorite vegan cookies? We’d love to know!