Eating out as a vegan usually isn’t hard, but it can be boring, especially in your run-of-the-mill brunch places. My husband and I are fancy, yes, but we aren’t brunch fancy. Don’t get me wrong, I still drink my Evian with my pinky up 😉
I digress. We went to brunch with our lovely neighbors to switch it up (hi neighbors!) and it was a great time! Especially since I had more options than just oatmeal or a side of potatoes. On the menu was (drum roll please) avocado toast! Sorry for the spoiler.
Now believe it or not, but I may be the only vegan on the planet who has never eaten avocado toast. I can hear your gasp, I know. Well, I dove right into the millennial hype and had some and I gotta say, it was ah-may-zing. So I set out to recreate it. Here my friends, is my gift to you: healthy avocado toast.
Healthy Vegan Avocado Toast – What You Need
- 1 slice of bread (toasted to your preference)
- 1 tsp of vegan butter
- 1/2 to 1/4 (depending on the size) of a soft avocado
- 3-5 grape or cherry tomatoes
- Everything But the Bagel (EBTB) Seasoning
- 1/4 of a lemon
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- A handful of arugula (optional)
- Toast your bread
- As your bread toasts:
- Cut your avocado in half and save the other half or the other quarter (depending on how big your avocado is)
- Cut your lemon into a quarter (you’ll only need a pinch, so you’ll end up saving the whole lemon)
- Half your cherry or grape tomatoes
- Once your bread pops up, spread a bit of your favorite vegan butter (you only need a bit)
- Dice your avocado and smush it onto the toast and press down throughout with a fork (really smash it in there)
- Top with a handful of arugula and also press that in with your fork.
- Top with your grape tomatoes (cut side up for artistic effect and to impress your friends)
- Sprinkle EBTB Seasoning on top
- Sprinkle with some red pepper flakes (if you like if spicy)
- Squeeze a bit of your lemon across the top of your avocado toast
Question of the Day
Have you tried avocado toast? If so, do you top it with balsamic vinaigrette? What are your favorite toppings?